Where’ Crockett and Tubbs when ya need ’em?
- Officers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission pulled over the man on his jet ski for a manatee zone infraction
- He subsequently sped off from the scene on his watercraft, prompting the FWC officials to give chase in their boats
- The suspect ditched his jet ski at the shore, and fled on foot
- He was eventually nabbed by police in Hallandale Beach and is now facing charges of resisting arrest and fleeing and eluding
- Officers learned he was also wanted by U.S. Marshals for a federal parole violation
Dramatic video shows a Florida man fleeing from authorities on his jet ski.
The high-speed chase occurred Monday evening in the waters off Miami, eventually ending in the arrest of the suspect, identified as Eric Tukes.
Officers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission first stopped Tukes in the water around 8pm due to a manatee zone infraction, according to Local 10.
Tukes then sped off on his jet ski, prompting the officers to give chase in their boats.
Footage of the caper shows Tukes speeding across the surface of the ocean on his watercraft as three separate FWC vessels trail behind with their sirens blaring.
The chase, which is now going viral on social media, was captured by a witness using a drone.
The chase continued for some time, with Tukes speeding north on his jet ski, crossing the waters of Miami-Dade County into Broward County.
Police helicopters were also deployed to survey the suspect.
Tukes rode his jet ski to the shores of Hallandale Beach, before he ditched the watercraft and attempted to flee on foot.
He was eventually detained by local police officers patrolling the area.
The arrest occurred outside the home of Hallandale Beach Mayor Joy Cooper, who was left stunned by the scene.
“We saw a police marine vehicle come down our canal and then there were helicopters.”Joy Cooper
Hallandale Beach Mayor
After he was arrested, officers learned Tukes was wanted by U.S. Marshals on a federal probation violation.
He is now additionally facing charges of resisting arrest and fleeing and eluding.