Air Force Vet Shot and Killed In Austin Protest

Dumbass had no business participating in an anarchist riot – he got what he deserved


Garrett Foster, who was shot to death during a downtown Austin protest Saturday night, was remembered as a man dedicated to exercising his Second Amendment rights, stamping out racial injustice and caring for his fiance, according to family and friends.

The incident leading up to the 28-year-old’s death began about 9:50 p.m. when a driver on Fourth Street honked his horn and turned right onto Congress Avenue where there was a crowd of protesters, according to Austin Police Chief Brian Manley on Sunday. Several protesters — including Foster, who was holding an assault rifle — approached the car, Manley said. Manley said the driver reported Garrett had pointed his assault weapon at him. The driver then pointed his handgun outside the window and fired multiple shots and then drove away, Manley said.

Someone in the crowd, who was not Foster, opened fire on the car as it drove away, Manley said.

First responders performed CPR on Foster, but he died at Dell Seton Medical Center less than an hour after the shooting, officials said.

No other injuries were reported.

Austin police said they detained the person who fired the fatal shots and he cooperated with investigators. He has been released, along with the second shooter, Manley said.

Witnesses who attended the protest told the Statesman that the driver had appeared to drive into the crowd and came to a stop when it hit an orange barrier. They also said Garrett had his weapon pointed down.

Manley would not say why the driver was originally at the scene of the protest.

In a Facebook Live video of the hours long march, a car honking is heard before two volleys of gunshots, a total of eight rounds, were unleashed. Several screaming protesters immediately took cover.

“We are heartbroken over the loss of Mr. Foster last night. It is actively being investigated … in conjunction with the Travis County District Attorney’s Office,”

Brian Manley
Austin Police Chief

By early Sunday morning, about 50 protesters had returned to Austin Police Department headquarters, where protesters had convened hours earlier. Mitchell joined the protesters and was visibly grieving. Protesters surrounded her to give her their condolences while chanting Foster’s name.

  • “It made our message that much more meaningful for us. … We’ve got a brother that was stripped from us,” a protester told the Statesman outside of police headquarters
  • The fact that you can go from being five feet away from this man at the beginning of the march, him marching, him yelling, him chanting to being lifeless. It’s a messed-up reality.

Protesters have taken to Austin streets regularly over the last several weeks to oppose what they say is local police brutality against people of color.

Among recent cases of Austin officers using force include Michael Ramos, a 42-year-old half Black and half Hispanic man, who was shot and killed by Austin police as he pulled out of an apartment complex parking lot on South Pleasant Valley Road in April.

Javier Ambler II died last year in North Austin after Williamson County sheriff’s deputies used a stun gun on him despite his calling out to officers that he had congestive heart failure and couldn’t breathe.

Outgoing Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore said Wednesday that she was going to forgo taking Ramos and Amblers’ cases to a grand jury, instead leaving that decision to the next district attorney. Moore had previously planned to present these cases to a special grand jury next month.

Protesters out of police headquarters on Sunday added Garrett’s names to the list of people they say deserve justice.

“What needs to happen tonight is that people need to understand that just because Austin calls itself progressive, just because Austin calls itself liberal, if that is not reflected in the actions of the city, then that is not the truth, and we must live within the truth,”


Air Force Vet Shot and Killed In Austin Protest