“Good to see that these punks were arrested. Street robberies in downtown Minneapolis were up about 54% over last year.”
Source: CBS 4 Minnesota
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Twenty people arrested, 18 of them now charged — all connected to brutal robberies in downtown Minneapolis. The attacks were caught on surveillance video, taking place in August. Police say groups of people would target one person, assault them, and often to take their cellphone and wallet. The 18 suspects range in age from 15 to 27.
Walking alone is all part of Sneh Bhakta’s commute in downtown Minneapolis. “It does make me feel singled out because all the time I am alone,” Bhakta said. “And like when I commute at 6 in the morning, I am by myself, at the train station I’m alone.”
His concerns grew upon seeing the disturbing robberies caught on tape, occurring near the places he walks. At about 4 a.m. on August 17, at the intersection of 5th Street and Hennepin Avenue, a man stands by himself while looking down at his phone. Slowly but surely, people approach him to talk. Eventually he is surrounded, beaten and left unconscious — all so the thieves could take his phone and wallet.
A few weeks earlier outside Target Field, another group targets a man who is alone in broad daylight. They attack him, and even ride a bike over his body — all to steal his belongings. Police said during a three-week stretch in August, 48 robberies were reported in downtown with 23 happening in one week.
20 Arrested, 18 Charged In Brutal Downtown Minneapolis Robberies